History of Eamonn Deacy Park
The story of Eamonn Deacy Park began when Eamonn’s grandfather, Martin Joseph Morris, sold land in Terryland to the Galway FA in 1950 for £250. The stadium was first known as Terryland Park and in 1977, League of Ireland football first came to Galway, when Galway Rovers first played in the league.
In 1981, Rovers changed their name to Galway United FC, but their home remained on the banks to the River Corrib in Terryland. The stadium underwent redevelopment in 1993, which meant that Galway United for that season played in the Sportsgrounds and in Crowley Park, home of local rugby team Galwegians. In 2007 a €500,000 government grant went towards developing a new 1,500-seater stand. The new stand was opened in July of that year and raised the seated capacity to 3,300 and the overall capacity to 5,000.
The stadium has hosted five Republic of Ireland U21 fixture and other international underage matches. Every year Eamonn Deacy Park holds numerous matches and finals in the Galway & District League.
In 2012, following the untimely passing of the Galway football legend Eamonn ‘Chick’ Deacy, the board of the Galway FA proposed to rename Terryland Park in his honour.
This event occurred at a tribute match featuring Galway and Aston Villa legends teams.
In 2014, League of Ireland football returned to Eamonn Deacy Park when Galway United used it as a home venue once again.