The 2024 League of Ireland fixtures have been released featuring Galway United’s Senior Mens and Womens sides.
Galway United Senior Men’s opening SSE Airtricity Men’s Premier Division game will kick off on Friday 16th February at 7:45pm at Eamonn Deacy Park against St.Patrick’s Athletic.
Meanwhile our Senior Womens side will be away to Athlone Town on Saturday 9th March at 7:30pm in our first game of the SSE Airtricity Women’s Premier Division.
There will be 28 home games between our Senior Men’s and Women’s sides in 2024, make sure to get your Season Ticket to save lots of money throughout the year. If you order by this Sunday 17th it will arrive by Christmas! To get yours click the banner below!
See the full 2024 fixtures for both team in the tables below. Followed by some Men’s opening day stats, Head to Head comparison with St. Pat’s and some information on becoming a mascot for these games.
This upcoming season will be our 46th campaign in the Men’s League of Ireland.
- On the opening day we have been given 23 home fixtures and 22 away fixtures, however in 2020 our home match with Athlone was postponed so our first fixture ended up being away to Shamrock Rovers II – an infamous 1-1 draw in a blizzard.
- In our 45 opening matches we have 16 wins, 18 defeats and 11 draws in total.
- Our most common opening day opponent has been St Pat’s who we’ve faced 7 times so far (W 2, D 1, L 4) but just twice at home. Most famously we beat them 3-0 away in 2009 when Jeff Kenna had left United to become St Pat’s boss. This year will be our 8th time facing them on the opening day.
This will be our 87th meeting with St Pat’s
25 wins, 23 draws and 38 defeats in those matches.
45 of those meetings have been at home with 13 wins, 14 draws and 18 losses.
Our latest competitive meeting was 13th October 2017, a 1-1 home draw, Eoin McCormack put United ahead in the first half before Billy Dennehy scored in the 2nd half. Colm Horgan started that night with Ronan Manning an unused sub.
The 7 previous first day meetings with St Pat’s were:
1977 H Drew 0-0 – first ever League of Ireland match for the club.
1978 A Lost 2-3 – St Pat’s went 3-0 up before two Tony ‘Ginger’ Collins goals in the second half mounted a comeback.
2001 A Lost 0-3 – first match under Dave Connell, held them to 0-0 at half-time before being well beaten.
2009 A Won 3-0 – Ian Foster in charge after Jeff Kenna had left to join St Pat’s. Derek O’Brien x2 and Vinny Faherty with the goals.
2010 A Lost 0-2 – Sean Connor’s first game in charge – Stephen O’Donnell was sent off on his debut!
2011 H Lost 0-3 – Third year in a row playing Pat’s on the opening day! A heavy defeat – an omen of things to come.
2016 A Won 3-1 – Christy Fagan gave St Pat’s the lead in the second half before a strong comeback saw United take the points back home – goals from Vinny Faherty, John Sullivan & Enda Curran.
We have already had a lot of enquiries for mascot places for 2024, with the fixtures now released we can start allocating games, find out more below!
Has your child ever dreamed of walking out under the bright lights of Eamonn Deacy Park?
Now is their chance! We’re delighted to let you know about one of the most memorable Galway United experiences ever – becoming a mascot for a home game for either the Men’s OR Women’s Senior Team.
- Meet the players before Kick-Off
- Walk with the team out through the tunnel and onto the pitch before the action begins
- Match tickets for 2 Adults & 2 Kids
- Pre-Match PA Announcement Professional picture with favourite player, which can be shared from our social media
- Jersey of choice
- Meet Terry the Tiger if available that game
If you have a preferred game let us know in your email!
Email us at email@example.com
Please keep an eye on www.galwayunitedfc.ie/fixtures throughout the season which will be updated with any results and fixture changes