shopping-bag 0
Items : 0
Subtotal : 0.00
View Cart Check Out

Report: Galway United 0-4 Derry City

Galway United suffered their heaviest defeat of the season against Derry City at Eamonn Deacy Park on Friday night.

Tommy Dunne’s side gifted Derry City opportunities with sloppy passing in their own half and City made the most of the home sides hesitancy.

David O’Leary replaced Paul Sinnott in United’s starting eleven and he forced Ger Doherty into an early save when he shot from distance.

Derry City then caught United on the break, Mark Timlin crossed for substitute Ciaran O’Connor but he couldn’t make a connection and the ball rolled out to Stephen Dooley at the back post but his side-footed effort was blocked down by Colm Horgan.

Derry City captain Ryan McBride reacted quickest in Galway United’s box to turn a breaking ball at goal but Ger Hanley made an excellent reaction save.

Mark Timlin whipped a free-kick deep into United’s box, Rob Cornwall met the ball with a header but he cleared the crossbar from close range.

In the second half, United capitulated and Derry City ran riot, scoring four goal stemming from sloppy play. David O’Leary’s mistake lead to City’s first goal, Mark Timlin capitalised on O’Leary’s wayward quick free-kick before slotting a ball behind United’s stretched defence, Ciaran O’Connor raced through on goal before calmly finding the roof of the net.

Derry City doubled their lead moments later when O’Leary surrendered possession cheaply again and Dean Jarvis was taken down by Cormac Raftery in the box. Mark Timlin sent then Ger Hanley the wrong way from 12 yards to double the Candystripes lead.

United almost pulled a goal back in spectacular fashion when Jason Molloy spotted Ger Doherty off his line but his powerful shot just skimmed the roof of the net.

Derry City made it three then when O’Connor’s dynamism vexed the hosts, O’Connor then had the presence of mind to tee-up Mark Timlin who finished a well-worked attack with aplomb.

United’s night was summed up by Jake Keegan’s late toe-poke that cannoned off the post when the American had beaten Derry City goalkeeper Ger Doherty to the ball.

Unfortunately, United’s night got worse in the 89th minute when Stephen Dooley found the top corner with a curling shot after United lost possession in their own half again.

Galway United: Hanley; Raftery, Oji©, Cantwell, Horgan; Shanahan, Byrne (McConnell 91), O’Leary (Sinnott 82), Molloy; Keegan, Walsh
Booked: Horgan 25, Walsh 25

Derry City: Doherty; Corwall, McBride©, Barry; Dooley, McCormack, McNamee, Lowry, Jarvis (Quigley 84); McEleney (O’Connor 21 – Curran 72) , Timlin
Goalscorers: O’Connor 53, Timlin 61 – 64, Dooley 89
Booked: Jarvis 75

Referee: Anthony Buttimer

Attendance: 1,104