shopping-bag 0
Items : 0
Subtotal : 0.00
View Cart Check Out

MATCH REPORT | Galway United 1-2 Shelbourne

Galway United fell to a disappointing 2-1 loss against Shelbourne at Eamonn Deacy Park.

The Dublin side lead 2-0, thanks to second half strikes from Adam Evans and James English, before Eoin McCormack curled home a consolation from outside the box deep in injury time.

Owen Heary’s side were the better team on the the day and Tadhg Ryan had to pull off a number of crucial saves to keep United in the contest.

United received an early let-off when Shane Farrell was played through on goal and he forced Tadhg Ryan to spread himself well to save.

Stephen Walsh almost grabbed the opener when he headed back across goal from a corner-kick. Shelbourne netminder Dean Delany was stranded, but Walsh’s goal-bound effort was cleared off the line.

A long ball out of defence from Shelbourne set James English away but once again, Tadhg Ryan was called into action, anticipating the danger well.

On the stroke of half-time, Shelbourne winger Adam Evans weaved in the box and made an angle for himself before driving the ball towards the near post, forcing another save out of Ryan.

Into the second half, Eoin McCormack caught Shelbourne on the break, he worked the ball wide to Gary Shanahan, who in turn, crossed for Conor Barry, but Barry headed straight at Dean Delany.

Shelbourne drew first blood when Mark Hughes launched a ball forward for Adam Evans to sprint onto and he fired past Tadhg Ryan.

United’s misery was compounded just two minutes later when Aaron Conway was adjudged to have dragged down James English in the box and the striker sent Ryan the wrong way from 12 yards.

Conor Barry worked tirelessly for the home side throughout and he evaded two challenges before unleashing a drive that just flew over the upright.

The overworked Tadhg Ryan was forced into two one-on-one saves in quick succession, denying English and Buckley with United’s defence all at sea.

Eoin McCormack did pull a goal back for the home side in the 94th minute with a fine free-kick, but it was little more than a consolation.

Galway United: Ryan, Shanahan, Williams, Walsh, Ludden; Barry, Connolly; Kenny (Conway 46), Manning (Furlong 68), Ubaezuonu (Layng 82); McCormack

Shelbourne: Delany; McEnteer, Collins (O’Brien 79), Hughes, Evans, Byrne, English, Molloy, Kavanagh (Rooney 75), Prendergast, Farrell (Buckley 68)

Referee: Damien MacGraith

Attendance: 708