shopping-bag 0
Items : 0
Subtotal : 0.00
View Cart Check Out

Match Report: Derry City 0-0 Galway United

Galway United produced a gutsy and resolute performance at the Brandywell Stadium to grab a share of the spoils against Derry City.

With nine league games remaining, United have equalled their points haul for the 2015 season.

Despite carving out several opportunities and testing Derry City netminder Ger Doherty, it was Conor Winn who was the busier of the two goalkeepers.

United were well marshalled by man-of-the-match Conor Winn, and their defensive shape and high work rate certainly earned them a hard earned point at the Brandywell.

After the 20 minute mark, Vinny Faherty sprung the Derry City offside trap, United’s top scorer was one-on-one with Ger Doherty, but Derry’s custodian showed all his experience standing up for as long as possible before spreading himself to push Faherty’s attempted finish away.

Derry City midfielder Aaron McEneff drilled in a free-kick with a lot of power and movement, but Conor Winn watched the ball swerve narrowly wide of his post.

Enda Curran’s clever free-kick almost caught out the home side, he shot low, but instead of nestling in the bottom corner, the ball rattled into the side netting.

Derry City caused panic in United’s box with two set pieces before the half time interval. A corner-kick delivered into the six yard box rattled around for what seemed like an eternity, but no Derry City player could turn the ball home. Then Niclas Vemmelund saw his goalbound shot cleared off the line.

Former Derry City striker Enda Curran almost came back to haunt his old side when he attempted to finish off a brilliant team move, but Ger Doherty denied him with a crucial fingertip save.

Rory Patterson went within inches of making a connection with Patrick McClean’s enticing cross fizzed across the box as the home side began to grow more and more into the game.

Overplaying at the back almost cost United dear in the 56th minute, Lucas Schubert timed his run brilliantly and he was through on goal, but he fired into the side netting.

Derry City may have felt their luck was out when a wayward shot was turned onto the post instinctively by Rory Patterson, the rebound dropped straight into Conor Winn’s waiting arms.

The home side were being stifled by a compact United side who were sitting deep and defending doggedly. This resulted in Derry City attempting long range drives, both Dean Jarvis and Barry McNamee had efforts off target for the Candystripes.

Conor McCormack let a stinging shot fly which Conor Winn dropped, Winn then dived bravely at the loose ball and atoned, pushing the ball out for a corner. From that corner, Rory Patterson picked up possession in the box, he turned onto his left foot but dragged a shot harmlessly wide and the home sides frustrations began to mount.

Despite a flurry of Derry City chances in the second half, United will feel they earned a valuable point with the endeavour and hard work they displayed at a difficult venue. Tommy Dunne will be looking to build on the result on Tuesday night when Shamrock Rovers visit Eamonn Deacy Park for a re-fixed league fixture.

Derry City: Doherty; McDermott, Vemmelund, Jarvis, McClean (Doherty 67); Schubert, McCormack, McEneff, McNamee (Ward 83), Curtis (Boyle 67); Patterson

Galway United: Winn; Horgan, Aganovic, Cantwell, Folan; Melody (Cunningham 86), Sinnott (Byrne 83), Connolly, Ludden; Curran (Shanahan 59), Faherty

Referee: Graham Kelly (CORK)

Attendance: 1,500 (estimate)