shopping-bag 0
Items : 0
Subtotal : 0.00
View Cart Check Out

Match Report | Galway United 2-1 Wexford FC (First Division)

“When you go down to ten men it is about digging in” – John Caulfield, Manager

Galway United defeat Wexford FC 2-1 at Eamonn Deacy Park thanks to two first half goals from Stephen Walsh and David Hurley.

United made it three victories in a row in the First Division in an action-packed first period in front of an electric atmosphere at Terryland.

The scoring was opened in the seventh minute when Stephen Walsh guided a header into the back of Jimmy Corcoran’s net. Captain Conor McCormack delivered a teasing corner that Walsh headed goalwards which left Corcoran with little chance of saving to give John Caulfield’s side the lead.

United continued to bombard the Wexford defence as the home crowd urged the team forward for another goal.

Shane Doherty came close midway through the first half while Conor Kearns was called into action at the other end of the pitch to deny Jack Doherty and Jack Moylan.

The second goal arrived for the Tribesmen in the 37th minute. David Hurley hit the Wexford net to double United’s lead after a superb assist from Ruairi Keating.

Moylan pulled a goal back three minutes later for the away side to give Ian Ryan’s outfit some belief going into half time.

Wexford gained more encouragement shortly after the interval when United defender Maurice Nugent was sent off seven minutes into the second half after receiving a second yellow card which saw the Tribesmen play with ten men for the remainder of the match.

The home side didn’t falter as they continued to create opportunities with a man less. Waweru and Keating went close while Wexford’s Doherty skied an effort over Kearns’ crossbar from close range in the 76th minute.

United defended valiantly and held out for the three points after Wexford threatened for an equaliser towards the end. Two games to go before the playoffs begin…


Post-match reaction from John Caulfield:

“I thought we started really well. Some of our football was very good but then Wexford came into the game.

“When you go down to ten men it is about digging in. There were some incredible blocks at the end, I thought we defended well when Wexford were putting us under pressure.

“We are happy with the win. We had opportunities to get the third goal so when it doesn’t go in the team has to dig in. As I keep saying, there are no easy games in this league. There is lots of work to be done; two league games left before the playoffs.”


Galway United

Kearns, O’Keeffe, Walsh (Murphy 77′), Boylan (O’Dea 77′), Brouder, Nugent, Keating, Hurley (Gorman 57′), Doherty (Ubaezuonu 81′), Waweru (Place 81′), McCormack

Goalscorers: Stephen Walsh (7′), David Hurley (37′)

Sent Off: Maurice Nugent (52′)


Wexford FC

Corcoran, Cleary, Crowley, Manahan, Fitzsimons (Farrell 65′), Doherty, McEvoy (Yousif 88′), Moylan, Robinson, Dobbin, Groome

Goalscorer: Jack Moylan (40′)


Referee: Eoghan O’Shea


Our next First Division game is home to Bray Wanderers on October 22nd.


Match Day Sponsor



Match Ball Sponsor