shopping-bag 0
Items : 0
Subtotal : 0.00
View Cart Check Out

MATCH REPORT | Sligo Rovers 1-1 Galway United

In a Connacht Derby of few chances, Galway United came away from the Showgrounds with a point on Saturday night.

Both sides were desperately in need of a confidence boosting win and it was Sligo who made the brighter start. Jonah Ayunga sold Lee Grace with a dummy, before powering a shot between Conor Winn’s legs.

United responded through a set piece. Marc Ludden’s long throw was spilled by Michael Schlingermann and Stephen Folan was on hand to poke the ball home from close range.

The hosts threatened early on when Kieran Sadlier delivered an inviting free-kick, Michael Leahy made a connection with the ball at the back post, but he struck it into the ground and the ball bounced over the upright.

Ronan Murray and Vinny Faherty played a neat one-two before the latter had a long range strike that was always rising.

Sligo took the lead in the 10th minute. Liam Martin played a ball behind Stephen Folan to Jonah Ayunga, Lee Grace came across to meet Ayunga, and the striker cut inside on his stronger left foot before striking low and hard between Conor Winn’s legs.

Sligo received a warning from a Marc Ludden throw in, which fell only as far as Paul Sinnott at the edge of the box, but he fired wide.

Five minutes later Ludden repeated the act, this time Michael Schlingermann dropped the ball under pressure from Vinny Faherty and Stephen Folan prodded the ball into the back of the net.

Sligo Rovers winger Liam Martin went close to grabbing a second for the home side, but his snap shot from the edge of D took the slightest of deflections en route to goal and narrowly flashed wide.

Sligo had a big chance to grab a goal before the break. Raf Cretaro picked up the ball inside the box, the veteran striker was calm and tried to place the ball, but Conor Winn did brilliantly to stand up and thwart him.

The second half at the Showgrounds offered little in the way of chances for either side. Ronan Murray controlled a rebound at the edge of the box and volleyed but his effort was off target.

Jonah Ayunga and Raf Cretaro both had half chances for the Bit o’Red late on, but neither really tested Conor Winn in nets.

Marc Ludden received his marching orders in the 92nd minute. The full-back received a second yellow from Graham Kelly after there was a break in play, however the sending off had little bearing on what was a scrappy affair at the Showgrounds.

Sligo Rovers: Schlingermann; Rowling, Leahy, McFadden, Donelon; Martin, Roddan (Boylan 76), Russell, Sadlier; Ayunga, Cretaro (Place 88)

Galway United: Winn; Horgan, Grace, Folan, Ludden; Shanahan (Melody 90), Sinnott, Byrne, Devaney; Murray, Faherty (Cunningham 90)

Referee: Graham Kelly

Attendance: 1,679