shopping-bag 0
Items : 0
Subtotal : 0.00
View Cart Check Out

Report | Cobh Ramblers 2-2 Galway United

Galway United travelled to St. Colman’s Park seeking their first league win of the season against a Cobh Ramblers outfit who sat just one point above them in the league table.

The Tribesmen started brightly with an early chance for Donal Higgins, who managed to lob Paul Hunt in goals, but a Cobh defender managed to get back and clear the ball off the line for a corner kick.

United controlled a lot of the possession and territory in the first half but the away side received a scare when Cobh Ramblers captain Pierce Phillips let rip from 25 yards and his effort cannoned off the upright.

United created a flurry of chances after that to go infront before the half time break. Donal Higgins and Vinny Faherty had efforts which went just wide of the post, but the best chance of the half came on the stroke of half time. Donal Higgins sent in a delightful ball into the box for Shane Duggan, who looked certain to score, but Paul Hunt pulled off a great save to tip his effort over the crossbar and keep the scores level at half time.

The hosts came out much stronger in the second half and controlled possession and were rewarded with the first goal of the game. Charlie Lyons poked the ball home at the back post from a Cobh set piece to give the hosts the lead.

Alan Murphy reacted to this by making a couple of substitutions and one of those made a huge impact. Just like the previous league game against Athlone Town, Francely Lomboto dragged United back into the contest and levelled proceedings with a thunderous drive from the edge of the box into the bottom corner which left Paul Hunt with no chance.

Three minutes later, United took the lead. Marc Ludden sent in a beautiful free kick, which fell to Jack Lynch in the box, he head the ball back across goal for Vinny Faherty, who expertly finished with a header at the back post.

United celebrations were shortlived however because Cobh Ramblers found a late equaliser in the 89th minute. A free kick from the edge of the box was sent in by Dean Walsh, Conor Drinan managed to flick the ball across the six yard box to Charlie Lyons, who once again managed to scramble the ball home at the back post to salvage a point for Cobh Ramblers.

It was a frustrating end to the game for United, who looked like they had done enough to earn their first league win of the season, but a draw was perhaps a fair result based on the balance of play.

Alan Murphy’s side must dust themselves off quickly ahead of their return to action at Eamonn Deacy Park on Friday night. United will go in search of their first league win when they host Longford Town, with kick-off at 7.45pm.

Cobh Ramblers: Hunt, Walsh, Kavanagh, Phillips, Lyons, Hurley, Henry, Harlson, Devitt, Crowley, Drinan.

Galway United: Horgan, Christopher (Lynch 67), Farragher, Murphy (Brouder 67- Lomboto 77’), Ludden, Warde, Duggan (c), Higgins, Molloy (Barry 67), Place (Doherty 62), Faherty

Referee: Jason Mannix